To travel with your pet to Romania, here are the main requirements to complete:


Each pet, regardless if it is a dog, a cat or other animal friend, should be able to be identified by reading a microchip. There is no other form of identification that Romania can accept. The microchip should comply with ISO Standard 11784 or Annex A to ISO standard 11785. The microchip should be implanted before all the vaccines for rabies are administered.

Rabies vaccination and certificate

All pets need to have the original Rabies Certificate signed by their vet. This vaccine against rabies needs to be at least 21 days old at the time of the final health exam.

Additional vaccines

Dogs: Distemper, Hepatitis, Leptospirosis, Parainfluenza and Parvovirus (DHLPP) and Bordetella.

Cats: Feline Viral Rhinotracheitis, Calicivirus and Panleukopenia (FVRCP).

No matter the type of vaccines, it needs to be administered no less than two weeks before you are coming with your pet in Romania.

EU passport and health certificate

The Health Certificate will be filled by an accredited veterinarian, and its colour is usually blue ink. This certificate will be valid for 10 days from the date of issue and will expire at the date of the checks at the EU point of entry.

If you are going to make further movements within the European Union, the certificate should be valid for a total of four months. This period starts from the date of issue until the date of expiration of the rabies vaccination.

If the pet comes from the E.U., the pet passport should be sufficient. Pets that are coming alone, as freight, should have a health certificate that their veterinary has licensed within 10 days prior to the travel date.

Non-EU pets

For the cats or dogs that are coming from a non-European country and they are travelling alone by air, the owner needs to confirm with a document that shows the pet will not be sold or that another person will take it.

If the gap exceeds five days, between the two scheduled travel dates, or if you intend to sell the pet, you should know that this is considered a commercial trip.

The EU five-day rule

There is a rule that you should follow when travelling with your pet in the E.U. Pet owners must fly within five days of their pet, so their move will not be considered commercial. If you cannot organise yourself like this, then you can still carry your pet, but you will pay more taxes.

Additional documentation the pet needs

There are some further documents that must accompany the pet while travelling to Romania:

  • Copy of the pet owner’s passport;
  • A copy of the e-ticket/plane/boarding pass that shows the date of the arrival (should be within five days of your pet);
  • A signed letter of transfer from the company you are travelling with.

Breed restrictions in Romania

The following breeds are banned from entering Romania:

  • Pitbull;
  • Boerboel;

Getting pet care in Romania

If your pet has any health issues, there are many veterinary clinics and cabinets to treat their ills. You can find them in all the big cities, as well as in the smaller ones. The veterinarian will prescribe you drugs and treatments based on your dog’s or cat’s problems.

Flying with TAROM with pets

Before going on a trip with your pet, you should know all the imposed flight conditions.

Pets accompanied by their owners or a responsible person on behalf of the owner for non-commercial purpose, arriving from third countries, must be admitted on the European Union terittory only through a designated Point of entry for the veterinary check of such pets. For air carriage, the Poinst of entry in Romania designated by The National Sanitary Veterinary and Food Safety Authority are: Bucharest Henri Coanda International Airport and Cluj Avram Iancu International Airport. For further details, please access The National Sanitary Veterinary and Food Safety Authority website here. A quick guide, may be found here .

The applicable european legislation for the movement of pets and animals is Regulation (EU) No 576/2013 of the European Parliament and of the Council of 12 June 2013. You may access the Regulation here.

Your pet can travel in the passenger cabin or in the hold.

For journeys within the European Union, your pet must be identified by an electronic chip and hold an European passport. The passport, issued and completed by an authorized veterinarian, certifies your pet has been properly vaccinated.

There are certain rules for traveling with your pet is Israel. For details, click here.

Pets are not allowed for transportation, neither in the passenger cabin (PETC), nor in the hold (AVIH) toward the following destinations: Great Britain (London) and the United Arab Emirates (Dubai), due to the restrictive local legislation.

You can read below the conditions for each transportation type.

More information: